On 26th August, 2016, Samsung Electronics hosted its First “Samsung Mobile Solutions Forum” in New Delhi, India. The event was hosted to strengthen strategic partnerships and to showcase comprehensive component solutions ranging from image sensors, memory and displays.
The event was attended by more than 200 experts from the mobile solutions industry in India. These included professionals from major telecommunications providers, camera module companies and mobile device manufacturers. The Forum promoted the theme, “India is calling, future is here.” At the forum, Samsung shared its vision and plans to provide differentiated value amidst the rapidly changing market dynamics and to meet the demands for component solutions pertaining to India’s smartphone market.
Speaking at the event, Haejin Park, Vice President and Head of Device Solutions in Southeast Asia, Samsung Electronics, said, “The world of semiconductor components is an exciting area in which we’ll continue to forge cutting-edge technologies that meet the demands of our customers.” He further added,“With a broad portfolio of value-added component solutions, Samsung will provide a strong foundation for the needs specific to here.”
It is noteworthy that last year, Samsung had held its first Samsung Image Sensor Forum on August 7, in New Delhi. This year, Samsung expanded the scale of the forum by showcasing the comprehensive lineup of its mobile component solutions. The event gave clear indication that Samsung has big plans to strengthen its stature in India’s mobile market by providing high-speed, high-performance, and high-capacity mobile solutions.
At the forum, Samsung’s latest mobile component technologies were showcased. These included:
- Dual Pixel image sensor: Various smartphone camera technologies were showcased. These included the Image sensor that uses all pixels as a Phase Detecting Auto Focus (PDAF) agent to deliver instant auto-focus in all lighting conditions.
- 10-nanometer class LPDDR4 SDRAM: LPDDR4 mobile DRAM is a high-density, high-speed, power-saving memory built for advanced mobile devices. It is to help users enjoy seamless multitasking with extended battery life.
- Display GreenScaler technologies: This is a power-efficient display driver solution that can up-scale image resolution by up to four times. This helps in providing high resolution display even with mid- to low-end mobile processors.
- Bio-Processor: This is very impressive and all-in-one health solution that can processe bio-signals without the need of external processing parts. It functions by integrating five Analog Front Ends (AFE), microcontroller unit (MCU), digital signal processor (DSP), power management integrated circuit (PMIC) and eFlash memory.
- VR/Wearable platform: VR sets are amazing devices capable of delivering awesome experience. The Samsung Mobile Solutions Forum showcased Exynos processors and development platforms designed for wearable smart devices like VR headsets and smart watches.
Several other technological innovations were displayed and demonstrated at the forum. It was interesting to see how the RAM and ROM of mobile phones have changed over the years. To try the touchscreen that could be operated upon even with wet fingers. To experience the latest VR devices and know about upcoming smartphone camera capabilities and so much more. Also on display were devices from other brands that used components made by Samsung. These included smartphones from Indian brands like Micromax, Lava etc.
Of course, I know that a lot of technological innovation goes into making smartphones or smart wearable devices. But still it was awesome to see all the hardware in the open and to know of the latest and upcoming technologies all set to lead to more awesome techno treats.